Javanese Stir Fry (Family Recipe) a.k.a Cap Cay Jawa ala Keluarga Fitri

>> October 06, 2010

Today I want to share one of my family recipe named Cap Cay. I believe that this food is one of Chinese food back then. There are a lot of street food vendors in my home town Pati which sells this kind of food. But I and my family just like to make it by ourselves so that we can add some ingredients that we like. My mom used to make it for us and I helped her to blend the spices using mortar and pestle. Later on she asked me to make it by myself  with her supervision and it turned out really good. It tasted garlicky than the one that my mom made. But my family liked it that way thou...we love garlic since we know that garlic is a good antioxidant. Since then, every time I visited them they always asks me to make this dish. I don't mind because I like it too...This fried Cap Cay uses a flour fritter a.k.a kekian a.k.a nyemek (Pati's Javanese language). 
Let's check out the recipe below:






















Ingredients:
2 carrots, peel of the skin and cut into angle
Cauliflowers (as many as you like)
2 skinless boneless chicken thigh, diced it
100 gr shrimp, peel of the skin
5 medium sized meatballs (bakso), sliced it
1/2 medium onion, sliced it
4 cloves of garlic, minced it
2 tsp white pepper powder
3 tbs of sweet soy sauce
2 tbs of tomato sauce
2 tbs of ketchup
1 medium sized tomato, cut into wedges
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of water
2 tbs of vegetable oil

To make 'kekian' batter (flour fritter) you will need:
250 gr all purpose flour
1 egg
100 gr prawns, peel of the skin and chop it finely
4 cloves of garlic and 2 tsp white pepper powder, blend it

Direction: 
Make the flour fritter by mixing and stirring all of the 'kekian' batter ingredients mentioned above. Deep fry it until golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes and sliced it. Set aside.
Using a skillet, stir fry the onion, minced garlic, cubed chicken thigh and shrimp until fragrant.
Add 1 cup of water, sweet soy sauce, tomato sauce, ketchup, tomato, white pepper, salt, sugar, sliced meatball (bakso), carrot and cauliflower. Let carrot and cauliflower cooked first before adding the flour fritter.
When carrot and cauliflowers are tender, add the flour fritter and stir it evenly until all coated. Let it cook for about 8-10 minutes until the water is reduced.
You can serve it with sprinkled of fried shallot and fresh pickled cucumber and carrot.

Serving 2-3 people

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP