Buttermilk Blueberry Muffin

>> September 10, 2010

I had a lot of wild blueberries in a freezer. I have made smoothies and oatmeal with it couple of times but it still a lot. So after it's been a while I haven't baked, I finally decided to bake buttermilk blueberry muffin. It's kind of healthy because I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour and blueberry itself is very nutritious and have a lot of vitamins in it. This recipe also using buttermilk and I don't have any. After searched around in the internet about how to substitute buttermilk, finally I found one. Maybe some of you familiar with buttermilk and probably some don't. Especially if you live in a country, you may need more effort to find it. Buttermilk is creamy milk with rich tangy butter taste that makes baked goods tender. In a past, buttermilk was made from left over liquid after churning butter. It is now commercially made by adding bacteria to whole skim or low fat milk. If you don't have buttermilk, simply you can substitute it by adding 1 tbs white vinegar to 1 cup (250 ml) of milk. So this is one of my healthy desert I think. Again, this recipe is based on baking website in here and has been modified by me because last time I made, it was really stiff so I have to add some milk and oil.

Here, enjoy the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup of buttermilk (by adding 1 tbs vinegar to the milk)
3/4 cup of vegetable/ canola oil
1 vanilla extract
2 cups of blueberries

Direction:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease the muffin pan.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract.
  3. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently fold itn the berries.
  4. With rubber spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
  5. Stir it until the ingredients are combined. don't over mix or tough muffin will result.
  6. Place 2 tbs of batter to the muffin pan.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes.











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP